Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Today

Ok. Now I am pissed. I just saw a commercial for Visa with the Smashing Pumpkins' song Today. I have accepted that there are a commercials with The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Styx etc. The thing that angered me about this Smashing Pumpkins commercial was the fact that they had denied the song in the 90s for a Levi commercial. What was it that changed Mr. Corgan's mind? Perhaps Levi wasn't offering enough money or perhaps he doesn't have the money like he did in the 90s. This of course would explain why there is a band called the Smashing Pumpkins on tour and releasing albums, when its really just a disguised Billy Corgan solo project. Here is a quote I found about from the man himself. "Last year, I was offered heavy, heavy money to license ["Today"]. I actually turned down two huge, huge, seven-figure-plus deals last year for two songs.... At this point in my life, I don't feel comfortable. Those songs are the reason I'm alive. If your music is not sacred to the point where it's a really, really, really heavy decision about whether or not you would allow somebody else to exploit it, then what's not for sale?" -- Billy Corgan, 2004


Well today's concert will be from Smashing Pumpkins. Trying to remember better days of that band. 1995-10-23

DISC I

01. Tonight, Tonight
02. Jellybelly
03. Zero (take one)
04. (power failure)
05. Zero (take two)
06. Today
07. Disarm
08. Fuck You
09. Thru the Eyes of Ruby
10. Geek U.S.A.
11. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

DISC II

01. Bullet with Butterfly Wings
02. Cherub Rock
03. Mayonaise
04. X.Y.U.
05. Baby Loves to Rock [with Cheap Trick]
06. If You Want My Love [with Cheap Trick]
07. Auf Wiedersehen [with Cheap Trick]

2 comments: